[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6369: Make the pattern strings easier to translate by making each pattern a "plugin"

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jun 17 14:34:25 UTC 2022

#6369: Make the pattern strings easier to translate by making each pattern a
"plugin"
--------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  NekoJonez                 |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request           |     Status:  new
Component:  Translate Site & Plugins  |   Keywords:
--------------------------------------+--------------------
 Currently, to translate patterns it's one huge table with all the patterns
 in it.

 https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/patterns/core/

 Yet, I have been thinking that this could be in another way.

 I think it would be great if it's easier to see if you translated all
 strings of a certain pattern.
 Also, I think it would be nice if you were able to assign a PTE to a
 pattern. E.g. if somebody from your locale created a pattern... So, they
 can translate it easier.

 Maybe this could work by making each pattern as a ""plugin"" (intentional
 quotes here)
 Like each pattern can be displayed like plugin/theme translations are
 displayed?

 I'm creating this ticket mostly to create some discussion about this,
 since I want to hear other people's thoughts about this (and also, I think
 this won't be an easy thing to create on a technical level)