[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6359: Possible to upload photos marked with incompatible license metadata fields to photo directory

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Sun Jun 12 01:16:42 UTC 2022

#6359: Possible to upload photos marked with incompatible license metadata fields
to photo directory
-----------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  sarayourfriend   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Photo Directory  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+--------------------
 I uploaded a photo earlier this week
 (https://wordpress.org/photos/photo/12962a0b7f/). It was approved a couple
 days later, however today I was editing photographs taken with the same
 camera and realized that I actually have a copyright field configured in
 the camera to add a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 metadata field to every RAW file
 produced by the camera. My photo editing software keeps these in the
 generated JPEGs. I confirmed that when downloading the image linked above
 from the photo directory and inspecting the metadata fields in GIMP, I can
 still find the CC BY-NC-SA field on the image.

 I'm not sure what my recommendation for a fix is: either moderators could
 be tasked with checking for these kinds of fields or these fields could
 just be automatically wiped from uploaded images. However, it seems like
 the first is probably the correct option as it would prevent illegitimate
 (incompatibly licensed) uploads from making it into the directory in the
 first place.