[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6330: Give some priority to Block themes(FSE themes) in the WordPress themes repository

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jun 8 03:38:35 UTC 2022

#6330: Give some priority to Block themes(FSE themes) in the WordPress themes
repository
-----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  kafleg           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  new

Comment (by elmastudio):

 Thank you so much @kafleg for this ticket.

 Last week in the FSE hangout, we also discussed the issue of block themes
 not getting featured in the theme repository. As a result, users simply
 don't know that WordPress is introducing these new themes along with Full
 Site Editing features. I don't think this is beneficial for WordPress.

 I want to add a third solution: We can add a similar second section on the
 theme page in the same fashion as on the plugin page with 'Block-Enabled
 Plugins'. So we could add 'Block Themes' or 'Full Site Editing-enabled
 Themes' above the regular theme list. This would add to a consistent
 experience between searching for plugins and themes, which make sense to
 me. What do you think?

 > If block themes are the future and are better and easier, they don't
 need any extra promotion.

 I don't believe that statement to be true. Everything that is new needs to
 be introduced and given an introduction to users. This is a standard
 procedure for a new product or feature release.

 Otherwise, we would also not add a Welcome page with each WordPress
 release to introduce the new features that ship with the release.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6330#comment:5>