[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6000: WordPress.tv audio does not work when downloading med and high quality video

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jul 20 00:55:39 UTC 2022

#6000: WordPress.tv audio does not work when downloading med and high quality
video
-----------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  alanjacobmathew  |       Owner:  dd32
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by dd32):

 * keywords:   => needs-patch
 * priority:  normal => high

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:2 dd32]:
 > Ah, this looks like an intended change - VideoPress is designed for
 streaming video, not downloading it.
 > We may have to remove the download option, other than the original file,
 but we'll see what they come back with.

 Seems I never came back and updated this ticket after hearing back from
 the VideoPress team.

 tl;dr of it is:
  - If a video is transcoded into a HLS format, all videos for that video
 (excluding fmt_std, for compatibility) will have no embedded audio track
  - The best way forward here is to remove the download links for any video
 files which has been transcoded to HLS, which will likely leave us with
 just the original and perhaps low-quality versions. We can't restore the
 previous behaviour for WordPress.tv

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6000#comment:4>