[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #6284: Extract strings from translation in `/patterns` and `/styles` directories of the theme

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 19 15:02:25 UTC 2022

#6284: Extract strings from translation in `/patterns` and `/styles` directories
of the theme
--------------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  oandregal                 |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)              |     Status:  new
Component:  Translate Site & Plugins  |   Keywords:
--------------------------------------+--------------------
 WordPress 6.0 comes with two features that require new strings to be
 picked up for translation.

 **1) Global Style variations. These are `theme.json` files stored in a
 `/styles` folder of the them.**

 I haven't found any theme published in the directory that uses the style
 variations yet. An example of a theme that uses this feature is Pendant
 https://github.com/Automattic/themes/tree/trunk/pendant Should it be
 published to the directory, some of the new strings to be translatable
 are:

 - "Pink" coming from
 https://github.com/Automattic/themes/blob/trunk/pendant/styles/pink.json#L3
 - "Primary" coming from
 https://github.com/Automattic/themes/blob/trunk/pendant/styles/pink.json#L10
 - "Foreground"
 https://github.com/Automattic/themes/blob/trunk/pendant/styles/pink.json#L15

 **2) PHP patterns stored in the `/patterns` folder of the theme.**

 I've found the Archeo theme to use the patterns feature, the new strings
 are not yet in Translate:

 - Directory: https://wordpress.org/themes/archeo/
 - Translate: https://translate.wordpress.org/locale/gl/default/wp-
 themes/archeo/

 As an example, some of the strings it should have are:

 - "Default footer"
  coming from
 https://github.com/Automattic/themes/blob/trunk/archeo/patterns/footer.php#L3
 - "Headline over dark image" coming from
 https://github.com/Automattic/themes/blob/trunk/archeo/patterns/headline-
 over-dark-image.php#L3
 - "404 content" coming from
 https://github.com/Automattic/themes/blob/trunk/archeo/patterns/hidden-404.php#L3

 Note that the changes in the i18 command for these stringns to be
 extracted have been merged and will be part of the 2.3.0 release as far as
 I can see:

 - https://github.com/wp-cli/i18n-command/pull/312
 - https://github.com/wp-cli/i18n-command/pull/311
 - https://github.com/wp-cli/i18n-command/pull/306