[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts in the support forums

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Oct 5 05:50:09 UTC 2021

#5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts
in the support forums
----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  carike          |       Owner:  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  defect          |      Status:  reviewing

Comment (by bedas):

 I think this would defy the purpose of the ticket.

 The issue is, users post links to their websites inside the support topic.
 Then, later they realise that google will show those support topics when
 they google for their website name.

 Then they will go to #forums and request the topics to be deleted or at
 least the urls to be removed.

 The field where users can add the private (visible for logged in users
 only) website, is I hope, already not part of the google index.
 So just anonymising that wouldn't really help anything here.

 Letting a user remove an URL mistakenly or purposely posted in a topic
 will not break usefulness of said topics. In most cases, like 99% of all
 cases, there is nothing useful anyway to see on those links in relation
 with the support topic.
 It is mostly "I need help with issue X - this is my website"
 It almost never is "I have the very precise example here on this page and
 that is not working"
 Even so, once they fix the issue, the issue wouldn't be visible anymore on
 their website, so theres' no value in visiting said website neither to see
 the issue as a reference to the topic.

 In fact, if the topic posts do not explain the issue well enough without
 the need to go to a website to see it, then there is little use in that
 topic anyway.

 I am in favour of letting the users delete ALL their links in ALL their
 posts no matter what, if they want so.
 These urls are usually of no value anyway, to the topic itself that is.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5093#comment:42>