[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5725: Create a query to report newly added plugins or themes, once a day so the date of addition can be used

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 4 07:34:08 UTC 2021

#5725: Create a query to report newly added plugins or themes, once a day so the
date of addition can be used
--------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  psmits1567                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  new

Comment (by psmits1567):

 Replying to [comment:1 dd32]:
 > > As it is not the intention to use the polyglots channel to ask for
 translation, it would be very welcome if there is a notice when a new
 plugin or theme is added to the repository in the polyglots warning or
 polyglots events channel

 > That would be a lot of new notifications per day, and doesn't sound like
 it'd be worth the time in all honesty - The majority of newly added
 plugins are not going to be used by the

 > If a new plugin is pestering to get the team to translate their plugin,
 that feels like it's poor form from the authors and not something that
 should be accepted/encouraged. I suspect it's because there's a specific
 article out there that's like "Things to do for new plugins X, Y, Z, get
 your plugin translated for better SEO and search rankings".

 > ----
 >
 > Now that's out of the way.. I wouldn't be against a firehose channel
 similar to the
 [https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RP50LK/p1619499627214100 "New
 strings are available for translation" messages for W.org projects] but
 for plugins/themes in their own channel.. but I guess that is kind of what
 #meta-language-packs already is (It's just a lot more verbose),
 [https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C0E7F4RND/p1620102804406000 for
 example: Theme: Import of craftyblog 5 new strings added, 4 updated, 0
 fuzzied, and 0 obsoleted].

 I have no idea how many projects are added, but if that are too much, than
 I would propose to create a channel like you describe above. Because
 obviously we do have an organizational problem. In that way people can
 decide themselves if they want to watch it. If created we should also make
 this publically known. Another solution could be to create a table like
 the top 400 projects, that adds those new projects, but remove them after
 a certain period say two weeks, to keep the list up-to-date

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5725#comment:2>