[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2107: Prevent posting 10k lines of logs in replies, recommend Pastebin or GitHub gists

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 31 01:43:20 UTC 2021

#2107: Prevent posting 10k lines of logs in replies, recommend Pastebin or GitHub
gists
----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  ocean90         |       Owner:  tellyworth
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by dd32):

 > Suggested alternative: check if ` exists in the pasted text before
 wrapping and if true, don't wrap.

 That probably isn't an ideal solution, as ` is a common character in SQL
 and as a result often inside debugging pastes from what I've seen.

 > I personally am happy it doesn't trim them off - because of custom pre-
 defs that contain `

 When it comes to predefs, if you paste it into the reply when there's no
 reply content yet, this code doesn't kick in (intentionally).. which could
 actually be annoying if you start your responses with "Hi @....mention,
 *paste*".

 If required, we can probably add some way of opt-out for it.

 Replying to [comment:24 bcworkz]:
 > I think the reason why we're still seeing double backticks in forum
 posts is people are pasting their code ''into'' a pair of backticks. To
 avoid this we'd also need to check content on either side of the cursor
 position in the textblock.

 That makes sense, I don't see any reason not to do that. I think I might
 have just assumed that very few people would do that :)

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2107#comment:25>