[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5510: Translation of the "Topics" string not taken into account in the French handbook

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 17 08:35:04 UTC 2021

#5510: Translation of the "Topics" string not taken into account in the French
handbook
-----------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  jdy68                        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                       |      Status:  new

Comment (by coffee2code):

 > The handbook plugin pulls in the HelpHub TOC code, but doesn't load the
 required textdomains for it.

 Just to be clear, the Handbooks plugin implementation of the TOC code
 predates the HelpHub implementation by 5 years.

 As far as text for translation goes, the untranslated words from the
 referenced handbook page are from the Handbooks plugin. Most prominently:

 * "Topics"
 ([https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/browser/sites/trunk/wordpress.org/public_html
 /wp-content/plugins/handbook/inc/table-of-contents.php?rev=10945#L37 src])
 * "Top ↑"
 ([https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/browser/sites/trunk/wordpress.org/public_html
 /wp-content/plugins/handbook/inc/table-of-contents.php?rev=10945#L173
 src])
 * "Watch" (from the post actions dropdown)
 ([https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/browser/sites/trunk/wordpress.org/public_html
 /wp-content/plugins/handbook/inc/watchlist.php?rev=10945#L52 src])

 The textdomain used in the plugin is `wporg`, which was chosen many years
 ago though ideally it should probably be something unique like `wporg-
 handbook`. I'm not sure if changing the textdomain would invalidate
 existing translations. Either way, I don't know where the translations for
 .org plugins or themes are, or if they're even exposed for translators if
 they aren't explicitly listed in the
 [https://translate.wordpress.org/projects/meta/ Translate Meta projects
 listing].

 In short, the handbook strings are, and have been, coded for translation
 in the plugin. I'm happy to make any change so they actually appear on the
 page translated, but I don't know what's needed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5510#comment:5>