[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts in the support forums

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Feb 20 10:42:29 UTC 2021

#5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts
in the support forums
----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  carike                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new

Comment (by Clorith):

 Firstly, I wasn't meaning to dismiss the ticket, I was merely pointing out
 that the proposal as it stood would add workload to an already small team.

 Any way, [attachment:"5093.patch"] is my take on solving the underlying
 issue of links only being private so long as they remain in that field the
 topic creator added.

 This will filter out the link and make it a code-wrapped `example.com`
 link if the one viewing the reply is not logged in, or if they are any
 random user on WordPress.org
 It will show the link it self to the author of the post, any moderators,
 and the original topic author. The reasoning behind this approach here is
 the user experience, if the user is looking at the wrong page on their
 site, needs to be directed to a wp-admin settings page etc, you can drop
 the direct link directly into the reply.

 Most of the requests to remove a link I've seen recently have been because
 others have posted the link in their replies, this would solve that, but
 keep the user in mind. And honestly there's no value in various links to
 another users site to that extent, the original issue link is still
 retained in the original topic post.

 If the links have not been modified, a message letting the user know why
 is appended to the end of the topic. This will hopefully bring ease of
 mind to the user, in knowing only they see their website link.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5093#comment:20>