[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2107: Prevent posting 10k lines of logs in replies, recommend Pastebin or GitHub gists

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Feb 17 01:44:35 UTC 2021

#2107: Prevent posting 10k lines of logs in replies, recommend Pastebin or GitHub
gists
----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  ocean90         |       Owner:  tellyworth
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  accepted

Comment (by dd32):

 Replying to [comment:12 tobifjellner]:
 > Possible alternative approach:
 > Automatically mark long pasted things as "code block".

 This seems like a reasonable alternative / half fix for this.

 Catching the paste event and reformatting the content is
 [https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Element/paste_event
 easily done] and so altering it to wrap more than x lines or x characters
 is a good idea.

 Adding an upper limit to trigger a "Please don't paste that 10,000 line
 file" would also be beneficial, but without some kind of alternative way
 to pass that debug information along is not great.

 Perhaps we could look into adding some kind of way to attach logs to a
 post, storing it outside of the reply, but accessible via the thread?
 Prompting people to attach Site Health debug output and the like could be
 useful, as would potentially being able expiring provided logs after a
 certain time frame. I'm not entirely sure if that functionality would be
 needed though..

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2107#comment:14>