[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5458: Redirects should not trigger 429 responses, and rate limiting should be relaxed. (was: Redirects should not trigger 429 responses)

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 4 10:17:02 UTC 2020

#5458: Redirects should not trigger 429 responses, and rate limiting should be
relaxed.
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect          |      Status:  new
Description changed by jonoaldersonwp:

Old description:

> Requests to https://wordpress.org/tags/privacy/page/15 are redirected to
> https://wordpress.org/support/topic-tag/privacy/page/15/.
>
> However, in the process, there are several interstitial redirects (the
> change in path, and, appending the trailing slash).
>
> This frequently triggers a 429 error for Google (and presumably other
> systems).
>
> To address this:
> - Rate limiting on 301 redirects should be removed (or radically
> relaxed).
> - System-level redirect rules (altering paths, appending trailing
> slashes, case normalisation) should be consolidated into a single
> redirect.
>
> This also appears to apply to ''any'' paginated request (e.g.,
> https://wordpress.org/support/topic/my-newest-blog/page/2/); which makes
> this even more damaging, significant, and urgent to fix.

New description:

 Requests to https://wordpress.org/tags/privacy/page/15 are redirected to
 https://wordpress.org/support/topic-tag/privacy/page/15/.

 However, in the process, there are several interstitial redirects (the
 change in path, and, appending the trailing slash).

 This frequently triggers a 429 error for Google (and presumably other
 systems).

 To address this:
 - Rate limiting on 301 redirects should be removed (or radically relaxed).
 - System-level redirect rules (altering paths, appending trailing slashes,
 case normalisation) should be consolidated into a single redirect.

 This also appears to apply to ''any'' paginated request (e.g.,
 https://wordpress.org/support/topic/my-newest-blog/page/2/); which makes
 this even more damaging, significant, and urgent to fix.

 Given that we 'removed' paginated states beyond 50, the performance
 implications of this should be somewhat mitigated. If there are still
 performance concerns, there's no shortage of opportunities to optimise
 other parts of the site(s)/stack to recoup our losses.

Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5458#comment:5>