[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts in the support forums

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 10 21:12:10 UTC 2020

#5093: Proposal to allow users to remove URLs that they have added to their posts
in the support forums
----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  carike                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new

Comment (by carike):

 > Which URL? The "page I need help with", or fragments of URLs in pasted
 debug logs, clarifications in replies? If there are multiple URLs in a
 post, which get removed?

 "The page I need help with" link is only visible to signed-in users.
 Giving the ability for that URL to be removed as well, but it is generally
 less of a pain-point for users.

 If there are multiple URLs in a post, they should all get removed.
 The search would be for any instance of a recognized link.

 > As to only URLs beginning with http or https: This will lead to
 complaints that "I posted my URL and you removed X of them but not Y" and
 then we're right back to the moderators.

 Just because we can't solve 100% of a problem (with one step in the first
 solution), doesn't mean we shouldn't take action to reduce it where we
 can.
 In my experience, people tend to respond well to sincerity.  While, yes,
 frustrated users may still be angry, I believe that a significant number
 of users will be appreciative of the good-faith effort.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5093#comment:3>