[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4989: wordpress.org and other sites say username and password are empty after successful login and math test

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Jan 29 18:53:55 UTC 2020

#4989: wordpress.org and other sites say username and password are empty after
successful login and math test
------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  wordgear                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                  |      Status:  new

Comment (by wordgear):

 @dd32 You said "this happens usually around 00:00-01:00 UTC", but it
 happens to me no matter what time it is as long as I have to fill out the
 math problem.

 I suggested testing in Incognito because you'll get the math problem when
 it won't show anymore in normal mode. This means you close any Incognito
 windows then log in with your username, then get the math problem and pass
 it to see the empty username error (during which you can debug the code
 and catch what's actually happening in your testing). I only suggested
 this as a way to guarantee getting the math problem.

 Showing the wrong error message doesn't seem to be the problem; there's
 still the underlying logical problem where it doesn't log you in after you
 pass the math problem when logging in with your accurate username and
 password.

 Maybe it needs to be clearly stated here that when you log in with your
 accurate username and password (and the form says you can use your
 username) and then successfully pass the math question, that it should log
 you in, not send you back to the login form with any error at all.

 I hope this logic is clear, and that you can test and troubleshoot and
 debug this issue properly. If you need help with it, I can try to do that
 myself to catch the problem. The code should all be in PHP and JavaScript
 as far as I can deduce (since the problem happens on any install of
 WordPress 5.x I've tried regardless of domain or locality).

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4989#comment:6>