[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5014: Add icon names to under dashicons so I can search using my browsers Ctrl + F function.

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 10 05:07:38 UTC 2020

#5014: Add icon names to under dashicons so I can search using my browsers Ctrl +
F function.
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  dufresnesteven  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by dufresnesteven):

 Yeah, the namespace does make it challenging.

 **A bit of research notes for discussion:**

 **Dashicons: [https://developer.wordpress.org/resource/dashicons/]**
 - Emphasized Sections
 - Icon Container ( 68x68 )
 - 13 icons per line @ 961px ( this being our desktop breakpoint )

 **Material Design Page:
 [https://material.io/resources/icons/?style=baseline]**
 - De-emphasize section
 - Icon container ( 96x104 )
 - 10 icons per line @ 961px

 **7 stroke Page: [https://themes-pixeden.com/font-demos/7-stroke/]**
 - No sections
 - Icon containers ( 86 x 86 )
 - 11 icons per line @ 961px

 **Font Awesome: [https://fontawesome.com/icons?from=io]**
 - No sections
 - Icon containers ( 134 X 64 )
 - 7 icons per line @ 961px

 **Thoughts/Suggestions**
 - We appear to have smaller icon containers than the others. We could
 create more room for our longer classes by having less icons per line.
 - Based on the other tools, we may not need to separate out the icons into
 sections for readability. They all seem to have not went that route (not
 sure if that's better or worse UX).

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5014#comment:2>