[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5536: Ask for the Plugin or Theme that a support thread belongs to in the Create Topic form

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Dec 9 07:01:51 UTC 2020

#5536: Ask for the Plugin or Theme that a support thread belongs to in the Create
Topic form
----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  dd32            |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |     Status:  new
Component:  Support Forums  |   Keywords:  2nd-opinion
----------------------------+-------------------------
 The create topic form on the Support Forums has this text displayed before
 it:
 > Looking for help with a specific  theme or  plugin? Don't post here –
 instead, head to the theme or plugin's page and find the "View support
 forum" link to visit the theme or plugin's individual forum.

 It seems that many people disregard that and create topics anyway, and it
 often ends up with the topic being duplicated into the plugins forum.

 Perhaps we should ask "What plugin or theme does this apply to?" and give
 an auto-completed list of plugins/themes, and then allowing the user to
 select either "Ask this question in the _XYZ forum_, or the general
 _Fixing WordPress forum_" as part of the topic creation flow.

 If the topic gets created in the general forum, we can keep the
 plugin/theme metadata around to ease future categorisation of threads.