[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5346: Characters like &, <, ? does not seem to be showing correctly in some Doc pages

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 19 22:21:00 UTC 2020

#5346: Characters like &,<,? does not seem to be showing correctly in some Doc
pages
---------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  kmarcink       |       Owner:  coffee2code
     Type:  defect         |      Status:  accepted
Changes (by coffee2code):

 * owner:  (none) => coffee2code
 * status:  new => accepted
 * component:  General => Developer Hub

Comment:

 Thanks for the report!

 This is an outstanding issue in general that for which the likely culprit
 is the SyntaxHighlighter Evolved plugin's handling of code shortcodes. Its
 block handling is superior and doesn't have this issue, but in this case
 the Code Standards Handbook is fully imported from GitHub, and thus
 originates as text in a Markdown format.

 I believe the issue would be resolved if the source documents avoided the
 use of code shortcodes (e.g. `[php]`, `[html]`, `[css]`, `[javascript]`,
 or `[code]`) and instead used triple backticks (with optional language
 hinting) '''''without pre-encoding''''', e.g.

 {{{
 ```html
         <article id="post-" class="">
             <!-- ... -->
         </article>
 ```
 }}}

 The Block Editor Handbook is also imported from GitHub and uses backticks
 (e.g. [https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/edit/master/docs/designers-
 developers/developers/themes/theme-json.md a source .md file] and its
 [https://developer.wordpress.org/block-editor/developers/themes/theme-
 json/ resultant handbook page]) which could be used for reference.

 In the meantime, I'll push up a stopgap "fix" that addresses the display
 issue.

 cc: @netweb

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5346#comment:2>