[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #5137: Noindex the thread at https://wordpress.org/support/topic/porno-notifications-on-my-behalf/

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Apr 7 09:46:08 UTC 2020

#5137: Noindex the thread at https://wordpress.org/support/topic/porno-
notifications-on-my-behalf/
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  task            |      Status:  new

Comment (by Otto42):

 Replying to [comment:2 jonoaldersonwp]:
 > See the slack thread.

 I did read the slack thread, and it doesn't answer my questions.

 People are allowed to talk about porn. WordPress is allowed to be used for
 porn. The fact that search engines picked up on a thread talking about
 porn for searches for porn isn't some kind of major crisis, as I see it.

 So, what I am asking is how one can generalize this topic into something
 actionable. You are claiming that the fact that this thread exists in
 search results is so harmful, so damaging, that we should take actions to
 micro-manage and specifically target it. I would like you to explain the
 damage and provide a suggested course of action in a way that eliminates
 micro-managing of SEO for the support forums.

 Generalize the problem. Because a solution of having people decide, for
 every thread posted, whether it is acceptable for search engines or not,
 is rather a poor solution.

 And again, please explain the actual damages, because I'm not
 understanding why having this show up in search results is "bad".

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5137#comment:3>