[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4869: Unexpected "Failure occurred processing one or more externals definitions" error for SVN checkout

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 22 21:58:55 UTC 2019

#4869: Unexpected "Failure occurred processing one or more externals definitions"
error for SVN checkout
-----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  danielbachhuber  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect           |      Status:  new

Comment (by thomasplevy):

 @sethta

 I'm having this same issue.

 For my personal use case the install script can be tweaked with `--ignore-
 externals` and my tests continue to run without issue (and probably
 slightly faster now since I'm not pulling in unnecessary resources,
 thanks!).

 I'm looking through how I've gotten to where I am and it looks like I'm
 using a tests install script that I forked from the install-wp-tests.sh
 file generated when running `wp scaffold plugin-tests {slug}` via the WP
 CLI.

 You can see this line in the script generated by WP-CLI:

 `svn co --quiet
 https://develop.svn.wordpress.org/${WP_TESTS_TAG}/tests/phpunit/data/
 $WP_TESTS_DIR/data`

 So I feel it's likely there's a lot of us (plugin devs) who have been
 frustrated by this issue the past few days and assuming the rate limiting
 doesn't go away (and who am I to say whether or not it should, I'm sure it
 serves a good purpose and I'm not arguing that at all!) this should
 probably be addressed in the CLI, right?

 I'm not much of a core contributor myself and I just went searching around
 to try to find if trac or GitHub was the proper place to address this but
 I couldn't figure it out. I don't like complaining so I'm willing to help
 with that but I don't know the right place to raise the point!

 Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with the `--ignore-
 externals` that's got my tests running again already.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4869#comment:2>