[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4455: Make it easier to notify plugin/theme authors to make their code translatable

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 31 07:50:53 UTC 2019

#4455: Make it easier to notify plugin/theme authors to make their code
translatable
--------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  Travel_girl               |       Owner:  ck3lee
     Type:  enhancement               |      Status:  assigned

Old description:

> When trying to translate a Theme/Plugin that is not translatable, you get
> the follow notification:
>
> >> This plugin is not properly prepared for localization (View detailed
> logs on Slack). If you would like to translate this plugin, please
> contact the author.
>
> When clicking on "please contact the author" you get to the support forum
> and can open a new support ticket.
>
> I noticed that new polyglots contributors are a bit unsure what to write
> to the developers.
>
> I suggest to help the translator by pre enter a little text. For example:
>
> " Title: [Plugin Name] is not properly prepared for translation
>
> Message:
>
> Dear Plugin/Theme-Author,
>
> I wanted to translate your plugin, but its not properly prepared for
> translation. Could you please add this to your plugin, so the community
> can translate your plugin to make it more accessible for more users?
>
> You can find more information here:
> https://developer.wordpress.org/plugins/internationalization/how-to-
> internationalize-your-plugin/
>
> Thank you! 😃"
>

> With this feature we would make the workflow easier for translators and
> could increase awareness for i18n in plugins and themes.
>
> The problem I have noticed is, that if the same person send a identical
> support request to multiple developers in the support forum, you get an
> error message because of duplicate tickets.
>
> Because of that I suggest to add the name of the plugin/theme in the
> ticket title.

New description:

--

Comment (by casiepa):

 How about adding an extra line like 'Still have questions? Join us on
 slack (http://make.wordpress.org/chat) and drop your question in the
 #meta-i18n channel.' ?
 If that's not the appropriate channel then even ours, #polyglots, would be
 fine.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4455#comment:3>