[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4450: Does WordPress.org Plugin Repo Elasticsearch function_score penalize plugins with fewer than one million installs?

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 10 20:14:57 UTC 2019

#4450: Does WordPress.org Plugin Repo Elasticsearch function_score penalize
plugins with fewer than one million installs?
------------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  jadonn            |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect            |      Status:  closed
Changes (by jadonn):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => invalid

Comment:

 Thank you for the information @otto42 and @gibrown! (And thank you @dd32
 for cleaning up the description.)

 I did see before that plugins get an increase in score from having more
 active installs. However, the two factors are multiplied together (this is
 the default behavior for Elasticsearch's function_score when no
 alternative behavior has been specified), which means that even though
 more active installs helps, plugins with less than one million installs
 have an apparently artificially decreased score, which I see makes plugins
 with more than one million active installs more likely to appear in search
 results.

 I did misunderstand the comments, then, I suppose. I thought they were
 intended to reduce the advantage of having over one million active
 installs, but as @gibrown said the logarithmic behavior of the active
 installs boost reduces the advantage of having over one million active
 installs.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4450#comment:4>