[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4333: Forum support profile pages should canonise to the profiles subdomain version

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 27 06:24:37 UTC 2019

#4333: Forum support profile pages should canonise to the profiles subdomain
version
-----------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect                 |      Status:  new
Changes (by coffee2code):

 * keywords:  seo => seo reporter-feedback

Comment:

 Wouldn't doing this be inaccurate?

 The support forum profile (e.g.
 https://wordpress.org/support/profile/jonoaldersonwp) is not considered by
 us to be equivalent to the WP.org profile (e.g.
 https://profiles.wordpress.org/jonoaldersonwp/). The former is very much
 support forum focused, uniquely listing the topics, replies, and reviews
 written by the user, favorited topics, as well as counts of their total
 topics, replies, and reviews. The latter of course offers the WP.org-wide
 view of things for the user, including activities, badges, plugins,
 themes, favorites, social media, bio, and more.

 There is overlap in information presented on both, but that's rather
 minimal -- just the user's full name, username, Slack handle, and Gravatar
 image. We do hope to eventually unify both profiles (#518), but in the
 meantime I don't think it's fair to suggest equivalency or preference
 since they differ in intent. And other than the basic user info, both
 profiles won't have duplicate content.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4333#comment:1>