[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4579: Requests to http://api.wordpress.org URLs should 301 to the HTTPS equivalent

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jul 4 13:29:44 UTC 2019

#4579: Requests to http://api.wordpress.org URLs should 301 to the HTTPS
equivalent
----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect          |      Status:  closed
Changes (by Otto42):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 Those don't redirect on purpose. Old versions of WordPress, pre-3.7,
 didn't have a copy of the cacert.pem file, so https requests would often
 fail because they couldn't do certificate verification. Forcing a redirect
 on http requests here would have the effect of simply blocking the
 requests from older WordPress installs.

 If we want to block old installs and stop supporting them, fine, but we
 should do that intentionally, not by accident.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4579#comment:1>