[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4160: Add to w.org plugin's directory the support of additional params from readme.txt - "Coding-Standards:" (like "Tags") and "Micro-Framework:"

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Feb 7 17:22:45 UTC 2019

#4160: Add to w.org plugin's directory the support of additional params from
readme.txt - "Coding-Standards:" (like "Tags") and "Micro-Framework:"
------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  KestutisIT        |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by KestutisIT):

 Well, actually many, because, I believe the section would appear in
 plugin's page at w.org, only if the values are defined. And then the two
 example situations, when it would be super valuable:

 1. “I’m building a widget for DirectAdmin that will patch the plugins
 automatically, but not update them”. For this I need to avoid thing,
 called “dependecy hell”, and this is solved only if the plugin follows the
 “Semantic Versioning” (SemVer) coding standard.

 2. I just hired a new developer in my company, who is software architect
 coming from C#. So he is familiar with PSR-2 and PSR-4 Autoloaders
 (meaning, he don't have to bother understanding includes).
 His task is to take some similar plugin from w.org, and make a "Dietary
 product list" plugin - so what he does, is he first searches at w.org for
 similar scope plugins (in this case "FAQ plugin") that is
 "PSR-2"-compliant, as this is the code he can pick-up and start editing at
 DAY 1.

 Replying to [comment:1 joyously]:
 > Seems like you can't fully use an incomplete classification system. All
 of the existing plugins would not have values for the new fields, and even
 new plugins would not necessarily have a valid value to put in. So what
 good would it actually do?

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4160#comment:2>