[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4915: Add comment or feedback section to End User Documentation page for low-friction interaction

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 16 16:38:52 UTC 2019

#4915: Add comment or feedback section to End User Documentation page for low-
friction interaction
---------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  bph      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect   |     Status:  new
Component:  HelpHub  |   Keywords:
---------------------+--------------------
 This is a follow-up of an [https://make.wordpress.org/docs/2019/12/08
 /trac-trello-discussion-the-way-to-report-and-discuss-documentation-
 issues/#comment-39860 / idea posted on the #docs p2 (make blog)]
 **Use Case**
 End User documentation, especially about the block editor, is not always
 the most current. To get through the backlog faster, we could use help
 from people stopping by at the pages and give us feedback.

 Most users just want to find out how things work and then move on, they
 might not fill out a trac ticket or add a card to a trello board. A box
 below the page that prompts a reader to help us with additional comment
 would be the easiest to leave a helpful note about missing or incorrect
 items.

 **Implementation ideas**

 1) Allow Comments, but make them always moderated
 Moderator decision:
 - approved/published, if helpful to the **next** reader. Rolled into
 documentation update work flow, with lesser priority.
 - rejected, but rolled into the queue of upcoming documentation update
 workflow, with higher priority, and a note to the commenter via email

 2) Feedback form (jetpack) see 1) without the publishing part. This had
 the advantage we could asked additional questions, like primary WordPress
 usage or something.

 **Additional thoughts**

 An advantage of a low-friction feedback loop is also that we will be able
 to measure how many people are connecting with the end user documentation
 and we learn from instant feedback to adjust our priorities.

 One concern came up in today's #docs meeting: "We need to make sure user
 don't asked support questions and know what we are looking for".
 We could offset this by adding: "Please use this form to notify us about
 missing or incorrect information. For support for your site, please use
 the support forums." (added link) (would need copy tag)

 We need to be able to edit the section above the form (comment or
 feedback) to update the wording, while testing until we settle to the
 final wording... (could be a reusable block)

 Some Documentation page don't need the comment/feedback section to the
 page owner should be able to check/uncheck the comment/feedback
 information....