[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #4900: Comment actions should omit arbitrary parameters / use the canonical URL rather than the request URL

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 12 08:46:12 UTC 2019

#4900: Comment actions should omit arbitrary parameters / use the canonical URL
rather than the request URL
----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect          |      Status:  closed

Comment (by jonoaldersonwp):

 Let's split this out.

 1) Why would we deliberately choose not to fix a fault on wordpress.org,
 simply because it's a fault with/in WordPress? There are a thousand other
 scenarios where dot org diverts from / improves on WP core behaviours.
 Unless there's a specific reason that we ''can't'' fix it here, I
 challenge that distinction.

 2) It's completely unrealistic to expect a core solution to this. Our
 problem/solution is simple, contained, and constrained. A solution in core
 would need to account for myriad other factors, and, core's canonical URL
 mechanisms aren't laughably unsophisticated. We'd be looking at ''years''
 of shoring up basic capabilities before we could even _start_ on
 housekeeping fixes.

 3) We don't have data on the expected impact, nor will we have isolatable
 data on the impact of it. That's not how this works. For a start, we're
 not A/B testing our changes, so there's no baseline to compare against.
 We're also deep in a position where we're still fixing a million tiny
 broken things, attempting to put our a raging fire - until we put the fire
 out, we'll struggle to meaningfully assess the position/performance of the
 site. In lieu of such data, I'd appreciate you assuming that my expertise
 and experience is sufficient to have determined that the effort/reward
 ratio for this fix is worthwhile; at least, it might have been, until we
 spent an hour bickering about it instead of just fixing it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4900#comment:9>