[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3949: Old news trackbacks/pingbacks which return a non-200 status should be deleted

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 23 13:15:08 UTC 2018

#3949: Old news trackbacks/pingbacks which return a non-200 status should be
deleted
----------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  jonoaldersonwp  |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  task            |     Status:  new
Component:  General         |   Keywords:
 Old news posts (like https://wordpress.org/news/2004/05/heres-the-beef/
 and https://wordpress.org/news/2007/09/preparing-for-23/), accumulated a
 lot of pingbacks/trackbacks. Many of those domains/pages are now dead,
 however, and as a result, we're linking out to a lot of dead ends.

 This is back for our users, and, indirectly, bad for SEO.

 We should procedurally delete any trackback/pingback which originated <
 2016* where the URL returns a non-200 status.

 *Somewhat arbitrary cutoff