[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3931: Current issue and proposal about "support mails" (individually and subscribe) - Forum mails

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Nov 17 14:10:41 UTC 2018

#3931: Current issue and proposal about "support mails" (individually and
subscribe) - Forum mails
---------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  Trebly   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect   |     Status:  new
Component:  General  |   Keywords:
---------------------+--------------------
 I have currently three sources of mails coming from “wordpress forum” with
 the unique sender “wordpress.org” and the object which is the object given
 by the author of the first message transmitted (which become the title of
 the thread) :
 1- Answers to question that I have issued or subjects to what I
 participate, this about various plugins (near twenty)
 2- Interesting questions for which I had no other solution than check
 “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” (fifty may be during last three
 years)
 3- Subscriptions to several plugins (may be thirty)

 For each source the reported threads have currently simple titles to be
 identified into the plugins.

 Currently for the three cases the identification of the mail is given by :
 - [Wordpress Forum]
 - <the title of the thread>

 All of these with the unique sender “wordpress.org” (the unique “from
 address” for anything)

 **I say that this leads to an impossibility to well manage exchanges**
 because of a lack of information to identify for each mails the origin and
 the cause.

 I receive each day a package of one to two hundred useful mails from
 [forum wordpress] that I cannot sort at all and associate to his "origin"
 (that I should have to do to make of them something useful).
 So I would need to sort or filter these messages :
 1- by plugin
 2- by request type :
       – Notify me of follow-up replies via email (and further I am the
 author or not of the thread)
       – Subscribed to any message on the forum of “the plugin”

 But this is currently impossible.

 You tell (first forum request for help in this problem) “The messages are
 what they are” this suppose that nothing can change, it is sure that this
 is the common issue in our current world (humor).

 There is no information to attach the object and text of a thread to the
 plugin.
 There is no information to know the reason of the message.

 It is exactly like for a post service of a town to receive all the letters
 to distribute (10 millions per day with only the name of the recipient
 without address and have to deliver to destination in New York like in a
 little village where postman knows everybody). Try to post a letter from
 New York with a name and without address...

 So you (common answering) tell that’s impossible to get anymore
 information that the sender “wordpress.org”, the fact that’s from the
 whole forum, and the subject name (no id).

 ''Humorous formulation of the problem :''
 So the natural consequence is that currently I, who receive the mail, must
 imagine a software to get all the subjects of all forums about plugins,
 all the message that I have send, all the messages that I have read, all
 the messages for which I am waiting an answer... and generate an index
 built with the help of the collection of all these informations that I
 could have stored (how ? with a pencil) when I had sent a message, checked
 a send me what it is told about, or everything done about these plugins.
 And, later after running this index system and the attached software that
 I could create and use, get finally the messages received sorted into
 separate boxes by plugin, boxes for urgent answers to the answers to my
 questions or various subjects followed individually could become usable. I
 have 30.000 messages are you ready…

 I can too created an employment of secretary to read print, sort, scan,
 convert and finally to encoded the text of printed mails and finally
 create clear titles for new mails containing information need to manage
 the mails (note that the mails subjects cannot be changed inside the
 mailers). All of this to have as subject of the mails the following
 content :

 **[Wordpress forum N°9999] – [answer about followed thread | message on
 subscription] N° 9999 (as for many forum and development threads
 management : stackoverflow, mozilla etc.) – subject**

 Best regards

 note : not sure of "component" so set in general