[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3540: Add Category Navigation on /theme/ and /plugins/ that Google can follow more efficiently.

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 16 18:15:44 UTC 2018

#3540: Add Category Navigation on /theme/ and /plugins/ that Google can follow
more efficiently.
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  mtobar          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by obenland):

 It's my understanding that we're talking about two different issues, the
 indexing of plugins by search engines and the better discoverability for
 users. Rather than attempting to fix both by linking to popular tags, I
 think we should address them individually for best results.

 IMO the indexing issue would be fixed by a sitemap. It would even address
 the issue of indexing popular tag pages, based on the amount of plugins
 that link back to them.

 Making plugins more discoverable for users can then be done by adding a
 tag cloud (as proposed in #2856 though I don't believe it actually helps
 users), or by adding/changing existing term sections on the home page,
 like the Featured/Popular/Beta section, which would be my preferred
 solution. What do you think?

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3540#comment:11>