[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #3540: Add Category Navigation on /theme/ and /plugins/ that Google can follow more efficiently.

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jul 16 06:48:47 UTC 2018

#3540: Add Category Navigation on /theme/ and /plugins/ that Google can follow
more efficiently.
----------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  mtobar          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by dd32):

 Replying to [comment:7 todd-inmotion]:
 > it seems like it would be better to link through to the popular tags
 because then we can get the tag pages - at least the ones with some good
 numbers - ranking better as well.

 To me it seems pointless to add a sitemap specifically for Tag pages, as
 all plugins contained within the pages should be indexed (And they link to
 the tag pages, so Google should know about them already).

 Some tags are indexed, for example googling `WordPress tag cloud` pulls up
 the tag archive, but a lot of other tags seem to pull up plugins that are
 far more relevant than the tag itself.

 > As for that sitemap you linked to there - are you saying that was
 already there?  Or that was newly added from what you did?

 The Jetpack Sitemap functionality was enabled by @obenland.
 The Jetpack Sitemap functionality specifically does not include
 Tag/Category archives in the sitemaps, as it's not needed when it's
 listing all public posts/pages/plugins. It doesn't seem to have any
 support for changing that behaviour.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3540#comment:8>