[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2858: I just posted a question in a support forum, only to see my EMAIL ADDRESS as the 'USERNAME' & there is no option to delete my post either. - MAJOR SECURITY FLAW

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jun 12 00:28:50 UTC 2017

#2858: I just posted a question in a support forum, only to see my EMAIL ADDRESS
as the 'USERNAME' & there is no option to delete my post either. - MAJOR
SECURITY FLAW
 Reporter:  cooljen@…    |      Owner:
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
Component:  Support      |   Keywords:  dev-feedback reporter-feedback
  Forums                 |  needs-codex needs-docs needs-testing ui-
                         |  feedback ux-feedback
 I want my username changed or at least the post deleted.
 For a company that is supposed to take privacy 'very seriously' this is a
 serious error.

 The only solution I saw was in here [https://wordpress.org/support/topic
 /wordpress-org-change-username/] which was only to create a new profile.
 That is NOT A SOLUTION. Besides it being ridiculously confusing having
 multiple wordpress accounts that are not the same or linked, This
 'solution' is also confusing because when I tried to do that, that would
 not work either. I didn't see an option to delete my post. I tried logging
 out and registering with a new username, only to seemingly have it think
 its my email. I could not log in and tried to get a reset link sent to me
 and never got anything. EDIT: I finally got that reset email and it shows
 the request for the same username (my email address) so why the hell is
 the username in my account showing my full email instead of the shortened
 version?

 I should at least be able to delete the post but there is no option for
 that.

 The login prompts for username/email. It DOES NOT notify the user that
 this will be displayed publicly. In that case, it should only prompt for
 'username' and not email AND it should express to the user that this name
 will be displayed. THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE and should not be taken lightly.

 I want my username changed. Edit my post to only show my display name or
 my new username (of my choosing, and not my email address).

 Please get back to me as quickly as possible as I just posted. It is not
 right having my email address on full display! I almost posted a review
 for the plugin and I'm glad I didn't - that's even more visibility.