[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #2645: Plugin Directory: Installation instructions missing - May withhold essential information

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Apr 3 16:23:45 UTC 2017

#2645: Plugin Directory: Installation instructions missing - May withhold
essential information
------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  Gahapati          |       Owner:
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by jb510):

 I've always found the "install" tab nearly useless, except where a plugin
 author has gone the extra step and explained "getting started".

 So, while I understand getting rid of this based on the majority of cases
 where the install instructions an author included are a copy pasted
 version of  "1. install plugin, 2. activate plugin", it would be extremely
 helpful to have a dedicated "Getting Started" tab/section.

 This is fundamentally different information from the description, and
 putting it in the description of which most people only read the first
 sentence hides what is very important information...

 As an example of what I mean, have any of you bought a consumer
 electronics device in the last 10 years? Did it come with a manual, a
 manual and a quick start guide, or just a quick start guide.  My guess is
 never the first, sometimes the second and most often just the "quick start
 guide".

 Plugins need the same thing, they need a dedicated section for "this is
 where you find the settings in the admin", "this is how you insert a
 shortcode", "this is how you get in insert your API key from X"...

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2645#comment:18>