[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #1261: Make it possible to define an image for sharing of the front page of a WordCamp site

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Sep 28 21:07:10 UTC 2015

#1261: Make it possible to define an image for sharing of the front page of a
WordCamp site
--------------------+--------------------------
Reporter:  Kau-Boy  |      Owner:
    Type:  defect   |     Status:  new
 On the front page of the [WordCamp Berlin
 2015](https://berlin.wordcamp.org/2015/) we have a similar issue as
 described in #1019. Our static front page has no featured image. When the
 page is shared on social media, the last sponsor logo from the page is
 used.

 All sponsor logos are too small (less than 200px height). So it seems that
 Jetpack is picking the last image, if no large enough image was found. I
 tried the following to solve the issue:

 1. Adding a widget (which is before the content) with a hidden logo
 2. Adding a hidden logo at the end of the front page's content
 3. Adding a featured image and setting the height to 0, so it is not
 visible but spacings still apply
 3. Define the Site-Icon through the Customizer in the hope, that the Site-
 Icon is used, if no large enough image was found

 The solutions 1 - 3 worked, but they are all not optimal. They add an
 image to the page, which is not shown to the visitor, but has to be
 downloaded. It's only used so that Jetpack will pick a correct image.

 As the image used on the shared post is a sponsor logo (and one of the
 lower level sponsors), that is really an issue.

 I would really like to see this solved in a better way that by the Jetpack
 function. In my opinion, there are some possible solutions:

 1. Add a theme option or setting to be able to set a default fallback, if
 no image is found
 2. Add a meta box to every page/post which enables an author to set an
 image for sharing onle (just like the featured image or as a simple URI)
 3. Always use the Site-Icon (if large enough), when no good image could be
 found