[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #1342: Plugin directory cuts out HTML <tags> in readme.txt indended to be part of text

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Oct 17 23:27:38 UTC 2015

#1342: Plugin directory cuts out HTML <tags> in readme.txt indended to be part of
text
--------------------+---------------------
Reporter:  maratbn  |      Owner:
    Type:  defect   |     Status:  new
 I just published a new plugin that injects an HTML tag into document
 <head>, and I documented which tag it injects in the 'readme.txt' under
 the section 'Technical Summary'.  The sentence is:

 "Plugin works by hooking-in special logic into the action 'wp_head' to
 inject the tag <meta name='robots' content='...'> with restriction
 directives for the specified pages and posts."

 You can see the raw 'readme.txt' here:

 https://raw.githubusercontent.com/maratbn/RobotsWhiz/master--release--
 0.2/readme.txt

 However, the plugin's page at 'https://wordpress.org/plugins/robotswhiz/'
 just says "...the tag with restriction directives...".

 So the textual description of the <tag> got omitted.  I think this was
 intended to prevent malicious injection of HTML logic into the page, but I
 wanted for this to be shown as text rather than get processed as raw HTML.
 The plugin directory logic should just escape the '<' and '>' characters
 into their HTML entities < and > and show the text.

 One workaround might be to just place these entities into 'readme.txt',
 but that would not be technically correct, as that's a text file, not an
 HTML file.

 The HTML-like text should be escaped on the directory site just before it
 is rendered.