[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #915: More information to enable making plugin update decisions on plugin stats tab

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Mar 3 02:36:01 UTC 2015

#915: More information to enable making plugin update decisions on plugin stats
tab
--------------------------+-------------------------------
  Reporter:  galbaras     |      Owner:
      Type:  enhancement  |     Status:  reopened
Resolution:               |   Keywords:
--------------------------+-------------------------------

Comment (by Otto42):

 > To make things more manageable, rather than reducing the resolution, you
 could reduce the number of versions being shown.

 For plugins, we're not actually storing the data at that level. For speed
 and size reasons, we're storing "3.8" not "3.8.1". Actually changing this
 would be a much more difficult task than you think. The storage
 requirements balloon way up very quickly, and the method by which we query
 that data to produce those numbers would need to be completely reworked
 from the ground up.

 It's a *lot* of data, in other words. This sort of version reduction
 approach allows for that data to be reduced to manageable sizes for the
 time being while still providing useful information for the majority of
 plugin developers.

 Realistically, plugin authors should be using the major.minor.revision
 scheme anyway. There should never be any reason to not update from 1.0 to
 1.0.1. If there is a change which is "breaking", then the version should
 reflect that outside of just the revision number.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/915#comment:5>