[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #1165: Placeholder is not replaced with the appropriate string for meta plugins translation

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Aug 6 21:22:37 UTC 2015

#1165: Placeholder is not replaced with the appropriate string for meta plugins
translation
----------------------------+------------------------------
  Reporter:  aaleksanyants  |      Owner:  coffee2code
      Type:  defect         |     Status:  closed
Resolution:  fixed          |   Keywords:
----------------------------+------------------------------
Changes (by coffee2code):

 * status:  accepted => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [10760-dotorg] (make the "two months" phrase part of the string
 rather than being an untranslated variable string) and [10761-dotorg]
 (make the ratings chart string "%d star")

 @aaleksanyants : I changed the stars string that you brought up to be `%d
 star`. This is perhaps less than ideal, but it is better than being `%d
 stars` and having the odd "1 stars" string. The singular use of "star" in
 this context is also how Amazon.com does it, so there's some precedent.

 We don't support variable length strings for this because it would throw
 off the alignment of the ratings chart given its current implementation.
 Therefore, we don't do pluralization (e.g. "1 star" and "2 stars"), and
 it's also why the translation does not allow for singular/plural. We may
 change this in the future, but we'd have to make CSS and markup changes in
 order to do so.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1165#comment:4>