[wp-meta] [Making WordPress.org] #415: Update WordPress logo used in og:image element to improve social media distribution

Making WordPress.org noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Apr 4 15:08:13 UTC 2014

#415: Update WordPress logo used in og:image element to improve social media
distribution
---------------------------+---------------------
  Reporter:  niallkennedy  |      Owner:
      Type:  enhancement   |     Status:  new
Resolution:                |   Keywords:
---------------------------+---------------------

Comment (by Otto42):

 Well, nothing against 1200px images, or using large images, but using the
 logo alone seems a bit absurd for this. I'm thinking we need a different
 image here, is what I'm saying.

 If you examine the stories auto-posted on
 https://www.facebook.com/WordPress, they all show that logo image on the
 side. If we were to use a larger image, Facebook says the result would
 look like this:

 https://fbcdn-dragon-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-
 prn1/t39.2178-6/851562_1376970469205025_523101852_n.png

 And that would look strange with just the logo there.

 We could even vary it up and have a selection of various images, one
 chosen randomishly for each post. It would certainly make our various
 posts in the FB page look better.

 Note that for posts where we actually have images, like the 3.8 release
 post, the inline images are automatically used for the og:image urls, so
 those don't use the logo. The logo is only the default choice for posts
 without images.

--
Ticket URL: <https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/415#comment:3>