[wp-hackers] Will Activation Hook Be Executed During Plugin Upgradation?

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Mon Sep 20 19:36:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Rich Pedley <elfin at elfden.co.uk> wrote:

> On 20/09/2010 19:35, Andrew Nacin wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Milan Dinić<liste at srpski.biz>  wrote:
>>
>>  I belive that most people thought that it is used on every activation.
>>> Even
>>> if plugin is updated, it is still activated.
>>>

>> It should be noted that plugin deactivation hooks are *not* fired on
>> updates. Those are explicitly suppressed. Only activation hooks are
>> fired. Personally, I don't see why we're not silencing both.
>>

> Well correct me if I'm wrong, but when you update a plugin automatically it
> deactivates, upgrades, then reactivates?

Technically. But the deactivation hook is not fired. And, an inconsistency
introduced in 2.9 means that when bulk updating plugins, the activation
hooks aren't fired either.

If this 'feature' was to be removed, then it would affect many many plugin
> authors(IMO) and time would be needed for them to adjust to things.

Probably. I'm just expressing my opinion. And the commentary that it is
neither intuitive nor consistent.