[wp-hackers] Where Should Plugins Store Files?

Philip M. Hofer (Frumph) philip at frumph.net
Tue Sep 14 06:51:30 UTC 2010

use

$wp_dirs = wp_upload_dir();

It handles knowing exactly where the uploads directories are used for all
wordpress installs, it's an array, also returns error message if there are
any errors.  It's handled for you.

Separating directories to a plugin-data directory is just not a good idea,
you want to limit the amount of open permission directories, so stick with a
single one (or blogs.dir for ms)