[wp-hackers] Hook (Filter, Action) Documentation Idea

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Wed Sep 8 21:42:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name> wrote:

> Well, my point was that given the large number of hooks, that it is almost
> impractical to create a separate method or function describing each hook.
> 300 or 400 is probably the limit I would be at. Also, given the
> already intermittent nature of inline documentation corrections, updates
> and
> additions; it seems somewhat problematic to force people into adding a new
> method when they add a new filter or action.

Indeed, that does seem problematic. Way too much to maintain.

About a week ago a few of us were discussing the possibility of creating our
own docblocks that we would use inline before each hook, such as /*wp ...
*/. This is in the context not of phpxref or phpdocumentor, but as part of
our planning for our own API reference site that will document every class,
function, and hook. You're welcome to join the API dev list at
lists.wordpress.org and we can move this discussion there.