[wp-hackers] Site Address during development

Gavin Pearce Gavin.Pearce at 3seven9.com
Fri Sep 3 13:03:52 UTC 2010

> What is being proposed is to enforce the calculation of the absolute
URL on every single WordPress installation feed (and any other way the
content may be accessed out of context of the web), to solve a problem
that manifests
> itself *at the point someone moves a site to a different domain*.

> This 'solution' is 'fixing' a problem that doesn't exist.

I fully see your point Mike, and it's a good one - I do though feel it's
more adapting the code to prevent possible problems - rather than a
problem that doesn't exist as such.

Your choice of words makes it sound like it's adding overhead - when
really performance wise it would be the most nominal of differences.

I mean ... if the core committers can force through code that changes
"Wordpress" to "WordPress" (definitely not a major worry for *anyone*),
I can't see how this is any different? A small use case yes - but it's
still solving a problem that some users do encounter, albeit not many.

Thoughts?

Gav

> It seems so easy and I'm probably not the first proposing this. So why
> hasn't this been done yet? Am I missing something?

Here is my take on it.

What is being proposed is to enforce the calculation of the absolute URL
on
every single WordPress installation feed (and any other way the content
may
be accessed out of context of the web), to solve a problem that
manifests
itself *at the point someone moves a site to a different domain*.

This 'solution' is 'fixing' a problem that doesn't exist.

The problem that does need fixing is "how to change all the absolute
URLs
when I move my site."

So, how about approaching it from the other end?

Here is my proposal: A "development mode" plugin, that:

1) Has filters to prevent the URLs from being saved as absolute during
development and testing. Code to do this has already been kindly
provided on
this thread.

2) Has filters to 'fix' the non-absolute URLs dynamically for feeds and
whatever else needs them during development.

3) Has a 'Go Live' button to click, which changes all the non-absolute
URLs
to absolute ones when you deploy to live. Then removes all it's filters.

This would solve the real problem, with no overhead for *any* WordPress
site
that isn't in development.

This could also be the basis for a number of other things that need
tweaking
during development, debug mode, non-compressed css/js, no-index
settings,
etc.

Mike
--