[wp-hackers] Exporting Menus

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Wed Sep 1 04:31:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Curtis McHale <curtis at curtismchale.ca>wrote:

> I'd love it if you could just export the whole site along with posts and
> all of the settings (including menus).

That sounds like a SQL dump to me.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Andrew Gray <andrew at graymerica.com> wrote:

> How do I move the menus (WP 3.0) from one site to another.

Menus are not currently exportable via WXR. Mainly because they are not
importable via WXR. (We would need to ensure associations with their post
objects don't break.) I would like to see that worked on in 3.1.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
> wrote:

> I discussed with Andrew Nacin at WordCamp Savannah but he didn't seem too
> concerned about it; maybe I read him wrong.

To be clear, while I got the gist your use case based on your code sample,
we were discussing a way to load a special file before wp-config.php that
would contain special functions for configuration. I imagine something like
wp-content/config.php, or what have you. I spoke about this with a few
developers, and everyone agreed that the special file (if sunrise.php is too
late) is none other than wp-config.php itself. If you need your own library
included that early, then you'll need to include that file from
wp-config.php. If you want to distribute a plugin with this, then clearly
they will need to do advanced configuration anyway. Advanced setups require
such configuration. Abstract only what needs to be abstracted.

We all have our own processes for production deployments. It depends on the
site, the client, the need, and of course our own preferences and tricks
we've picked up. My process works well for me in almost every case, but that
doesn't mean it'll work for you. (In a nutshell, I prefer to map the
production domain to a local or remote sandbox. It's also how
wordpress.orgis configured.) Again, how much of this depends on the
developer's (or
developers') own workflow?

Beyond that, I second everything Beau said. Thinking big will help, figuring
out the real problems as well coming up with solutions, but before endorsing
a deployment method there needs to be a lot more innovation and evolution in
the space.