[wp-hackers] support for custoim post types + custom feilds

Ash Goodman ash at thinkinginvain.com
Sat Jun 19 03:39:40 UTC 2010

@scribu

I would say a god reason to put this in core woudl be that the more
3rd party code you introduce into a website (especiialy unvestted
code) the more potential instabilities, potential exploits and
upgrading issues(what happens if the plugin stops being supported?).

You have to remember that nowadays many wordpress websites are now
being used at least in part as CM (as per Matt's recent speech) and
that most are not being maintained by professionals. Giving theme
developers an api for custom fields + custom post types would allow us
to keep the amount of software required to just 2 pieces. 1) Wordpress
and 2) the theme.

Plugins are one of the greatest things about wordpress, but they are
also where most of the breakage occurs (In my experience).

For corporate/mission critical websites plugins are an iffy solution at best.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the plugin api. I use it to do
all sorts of neat things with the themes I build. But I tend to build
the functionality into the theme rather than rely on a plugin (with a
few exceptions) as it makes it easier to maintain the site going
forward and doesn't make every upgrade a crap shoot.

Just my 2 cents.

Ash