[wp-hackers] We can't and don't rush things into core (was: Long term suckage)

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Sat Jun 19 03:06:15 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> [1] He suggested a simple patch that would introduce a hook that would have
> allowed me to code my plugin so that it didn't depend on knowledge of the
> underlying storage of menus but Nacin punted that patch to a future version.
> So now I have to write my plugin to depend on the knowledge of how menus are
> stored[3] and it might break in the future. (I'm not 2nd guessing the
> decision to bypass 3.0 on this specific patch, just using it as the best
> example of the concern I have.)

[1] http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/13694

Not in any way related to LTS, but I wish to address this. We have been
aiming to get 3.0 released for some time, and enhancements were getting
swift boots. In this case, filosofo linked to a filter added to 3.0 (not a
patch) which you found sufficient, and then found insufficient. Not that it
wouldn't enable you to do what you wanted to do, but because you didn't feel
it was efficient enough.

These are edge case enhancements that we cannot research and flesh out in
the matter of minutes, because that's the most amount of time I'd want to
devote to something like this at such a late stage in the release cycle.
Hence, I punted it and would do so again.