[wp-hackers] Long term suckage

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Fri Jun 18 17:20:11 UTC 2010

On Jun 18 2010 11:49 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> While I like the theory of LTS, what happens in practice is it covers
> up the incompetence of IT or developers because they put off small
> slightly painful upgrades until they get so out of date of trunk (3
> years? 5 years?) and you have to go through a giant, painful, screws
> everybody over upgrade.

Yeah, but I think what we're* talking about here is more realistic.
Maybe we should call it "STS" (Short-Term Support) instead of "LTS"? I
don't think we have to make any commitment (official or otherwise) to
support any particular release for years. But if we could just support
the "current-minus-one" release up until the time that the
"current-plus-one" version came out, it would provide a
not-too-unreasonable window for those who hesitate to upgrade to the
shiniest new version, for whatever reason.

For a pure feature release, like 3.0 (AFAIK there are still no known
security holes in 2.9), it's not that big a deal. But if someone
theoretically discovered a 3.0 security hole 3 months from now which
also affected 2.9, I think it would behoove us to backport the patch
into the 2.9 branch and do a point release, even if backporting the fix
is a pain in the neck due to code refactoring.

The main thing here is that it would be nice to have "official" support
from the core team, even if it's community members at-large who do the
actual bugfix backporting. Yes, I'm sure that if this had occurred in
the past, such patches would have been welcomed, but there has been no
stated process around it. It would be nice if someone would actually say
that such patches would be reviewed, and that there would be a "real"
-minus-one update release.

Here's a possible pain-point:  if you are running 2.9.2, and there was a
2.9.3 release while 3.0 is current, I'm assuming that the updater will
only show you 3.0 as an upgrade path. I'm guessing this could be
addressed with a plugin, though.

   * And when I say "we", I'm really only speaking for myself. :)

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/