[wp-hackers] Geodata storage

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Sat Jun 5 20:58:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> Hey, can anyone discuss the use-cases they envision for WordPress and Geo
> data?  I understand the abstract need but am curious how people are using
> it.

There are already plugins that do a lot of interesting stuff with geodata,
they just don't save the data in standardized ways.

One obvious one that I'm interested in is showing a map (google or
otherwise) with points for recent posts. If each post has the meta set up
you use it to create a kml file or whatever that you feed to the map's flash
file.

I would be much more comfortable getting involved with geo data if there was
standard storage though. I'd love the ability to hop from plugin to plugin
with confidence that the data won't need to be converted (except for extras
that plugin authors can add in and use but with the knowledge that they
should make their plugin work with only the standard data if that is all
that's available).

--
Jeremy Clarke
Code and Design | globalvoicesonline.org