[wp-hackers] SEO, How to turn off paged comments for search engine crawlers?

Joost de Valk joost at yoast.com
Sun Nov 8 19:50:15 UTC 2009

Both solution 5 & 6 won't work.

5 is cloaking, which is considered illegal by the search engines and
I'd highly advise against it.

6 is not going to work: canonical is meant to distinguish the one
"true" (canonical) version of a document from copies of it. Giving
each comment its own page would make each comment completely different
from the original article, and thus wouldn't work with the  canonical
tag.

To be honest there's only one real solution: disabling paged comments
altogether. Even using the canonical tag on sub pages with other
comments is a lousy solution.

Cheers,
Joost

Joost de Valk