[wp-hackers] plugin compatability

Lynne Pope lynne.pope at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 13:27:40 UTC 2009

2009/11/5 <elflop at googlemail.com>

> So I suggest it is either removed, or people are required to enter in a
> reason why it is broken and that the plugin author is given a chance to
> respond. As it stands a plugin could be marked as broken simply because
> someone doesn't like it!

Even with it requiring login before voting the system can be gamed. I don't
understand why anyone would vote actually.
They go to the repository, download the plugin, install, test, then... go
back to the repository to vote???
That seems to be a stretch to me.

I've downloaded two plugins since that new feature went up. Couldn't be
bothered going back just to vote. If others are like me then the voting will
only ever be done for ulterior reasons and honest reporting will be up the
spout and washed away completely.

For compatibility feedback to be really useful it should be provided as a
rating from the WordPress plugin admin screen, not from a download page that
genuine users may not go back to. IMO anyway ;)

Lynne

--
http://twitter.com/elpie/