[wp-hackers] Username Madness

Ken Newman Ken at adcSTUDIO.com
Tue Nov 3 19:50:04 UTC 2009

On 11/3/2009 2:11 PM, Jeremy Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM, William Canino
> <william.canino at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> The next superfluous is user_login, if we go rewrite our installation
>> wizard and registration forms to ask and use the URL-safe nicename to
>> be the user's login name for WordPress.
>>
> Yeah, that's definitely something weird. Am I the only person who
> finds it very strange that WP allows capitalization in its login
> names? What use is that? Should one site really be allowed to have a
> login for "jeremy" and "Jeremy"?

I like the ability to use caps, and spaces (just figured that one out by
mistake), in user names. But I do get yer point, spoofing users' names
becomes less noticeable, readers could mistake lower jeremy for upper
Jeremy the admin, but I think that's a matter for admin review, not any
changes to the wordpress core.