[wp-hackers] Username Madness

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:11:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> >> Also, what if I want my display_name to be something different?
> >
> > You should use wp_usermeta.nickname instead of display_name.
>
> No, because I have a nickname already. So, what if I want my display
> name to be a fourth option? You're discounting customization and
> plugins.
>
> Forget the existing User Interface and how it works. Display name does
> not have to be any of the three choices you make. It'll work just fine
> if I manually set it to something else.

In other words, you're making the assumption that display_name must be
> one of those three. That assumption is incorrect. It can be a fourth.
> The fact that the core code only gives three options doesn't mean that
> a fourth option cannot be created by external code.
>
> The interface is not the database.

Indeed: If you choose to completely ignore the user interface, you can use
display_name as yet another nickname.

But then, why not just use wp_usermeta to set as many nicknames as you want?

Then you could hook into 'the_author' and return one of them, instead of
display_name.

--
http://scribu.net